Copyright © Whole Brain Innovation LLC | All Rights reserved
We've all heard the term “right brained” or “left brained” thinkers. Right Brained people were said to be intuitive, nonverbal,
(using pictures rather than words) artistic, more creative. Left brained people were described as more verbal, analytical, pragmatic,
and linear thinkers. This right and left brained concept was discovered by Nobel Prize winning, Neurobologist Dr Roger Sperry,
and was used to describe how each person processed information and therefore, ultimately how they functioned in terms of problem-solving, learning, and reacting to their surroundings. Generally, it was thought that people functioned using predominantly either the left side or right side of the brain but not both. This way of thinking would also be described as the predominant force governing who each person became and what career they eventually chose. Right brain people became artists, left brain people became accountants. On top of all of this, the notion that we only use an average of around 10% of the brain, conjured up images of the other 90% laying dormant.
Decades later, we understand a bit more about brain function, and how each person
develops strengths and weaknesses based on the lateralization of brain function.
The scientific community now understands that every person actually uses both sides of the brain simultaneously.
While it's true that the two halves of the brain have receptors for different functions, in order for those functions to be executed,
we must use both hemispheres of the brain. At the same time, scientists also understand that there exist
personality types that are predominately more analytical than artistic and that is why we see individuals
performing specific jobs within a specific functional methodology. That's why in many business situations,
we find that analytically focused personalities become accountants, and intuitive, creative types become artists.
At Whole Brain Innovation, our focus has always been problem-solving and innovation utilizing both sides
of that processing spectrum simultaneously. We understand that the notion of problem solving
from only one focal point leaves too many available answers still untested.
Understanding that there is always more than one answer to a problem, and that unorthodox, nonlinear and
sometimes far-fetched thoughts can be discovered by having right brain personalities thinking in a left brain way and vice a versa.
This methodology is what leads to disruption of status quo and innovation that is more revolutionary than evolutionary.
This is what Whole Brain Innovation does.
WHOLE BRAIN INNOVATION... AND HOW IT RELATES TO BUSINESS.